Friday, May 1, 2009

My greatest fear


So before I had a baby, I didn't really fear anything. I could walk down an ally and not worry. I could get sick and not care. I could drive like a crazy person and ride a Harley. Party like a rock star and do stupid things. Live alone. I truly had no fear. If I died, I died.


I am one of those people that has never seen my future. I can't picture something unless I can feel, and see it. I can't imagine what a house will look like before it is built or see myself old and grey with the same man. So I couldn't fathom that I was really having a baby until I could hold her. Since I couldn't imagine what it would be like, I was afraid it wouldn't happen. I couldn't picture it, so maybe it wasn't going to be.


When I was pregnant, I lived on the Internet and googled everything about a healthy pregnancy and having a healthy child. I started wearing a seat belt every time I drove. I had anxiety about having a miscarriage or having a stillbirth. What if I died when she was born and never got to see her? I drove people crazy with my "what if's". Especially my Doctor.


When she was born, I did all of the things you do to keep SIDS away. I even took her out of a daycare when I walked in and she had a blanket in the crib with her. I lied awake for the first couple of weeks worried that she would stop breathing. My mom stayed with me the first few nights after she was born and I remember waking her up crying that I was panicking. I know that all women probably go through this, but it was sooo strange for me.


Now, I worry that if I die, I will miss her life. That she would be scared and alone. What if she died? I would not be able to go on. I know that makes some people mad when I say that, but I would rather be with her on the other side than live in a tootless world. What if some one hurt or took her? I would be in jail. I would hunt them down and end up in jail. I know everyone that loves a child feels the same way, but it truly gives me anxiety.


Every time I look at her, I just want to squeeze her and kiss her. I am so grateful to have her and I won't except anything less than a long life with her.

I never want her to hurt or be afraid. Very unrealistic and a little psycho, but I am her life and she is mine.


Don't get me wrong, I love when she goes to bed early so that I can have MY time. She is a toddler through and through and I have moments when I want to give her to her grandmother until she is 16, but that is the joy of being a mother. The good bad and ugly of it all and to come out knowing that we will ALWAYS be mother and daughter. It relieves my anxiety and makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment